Sure, it’s only a little one but it still exists!
I’ve affectionately given it a series of names: Tyson, Cleyton, Blayne and Chayse! Also known as my sons!
So how do I define a bit of a tummy?
Well, it’s your rounder area and those who have one are usually attempting to tuck it away underneath layers of clothing.
You might find you have one when you wear jeans or pants as you’ll sometimes get what’s referred to as a muffin top.
Or perhaps you’re one of the really dedicated women who are walking around breathing their tummy’s in for as long as they can. Impressive effort.
So it beckons one of the most common questions I’ve been answering for the last 14 years: “How do I hide my tummy?”
Well, you’ll be happy to know I’m not going to issue you a set of abdominal crunches or issue you a Spanx garment. Instead, below you’ll find a series of style tips to help you dress in a way that flatters your tummy while still keeping your body shape.
- You need to avoid t-shirt fabric immediately. This will only cling to the area.
- Similarly, no jersey fabric.
- Forget maternity style tops. While they may visually hide your tummy, it can also prompt questions from innocent people i.e. Are you expecting?
- Avoid button through shirts as these might gape over your stomach.
- Belts or large patterned tops will draw the eye to the area so keep your accessories high up and polka dots and flowers on the petite side.
- Search for silky fabrics that slide off your bust and skip over your tummy.
- Work with styles that keep your shape under your arm to your waist, this will streamline your silhouette.
- We’re happy to say that peplums are still on—trend. They’ll not only hide your tummy, they’ll provide a very pretty distraction.
- Rouching and panelling in your clothes can be a clever way to cover your tummy as well.
Finally, it can be very effective to layer fabric on fabric vertically. Just make sure you’re not adding too much “bulk” to the tummy area.
I hope you found today’s blog post valuable and can utilise these tips to explore shopping for your shape without the tummy tuck.
Breathe out ladies.