You’re probably wondering why I’ve chosen such a fairly obvious, perhaps almost boring topic today.
However, like most garments not everyone knows the how to’s and the who can’s on wearing them.
Skirts are having quite a moment in the fashion industry. Never before have the lengths and styles been so broad, with every body shape currently being catered for.
We love the demure lengths of the maxi and midi whilst the knee length and mini skirt continue to serve those with great pins.
The shapely pencil skirt continues its’ reign and is met by the airy A-line skirt, both a highlight to the feminine waist.
Whatever your pick, skirts exude femininity and can be beautifully teamed to work two different trends – top and bottom.
Despite the pretty factor, wearing a skirt is not always easy – particularly if you have a bit of a tummy. There are also a few style rules that are worth considering before you slip into one.
Now before we launch into the style photos, I’ve taken a mix and match approach with the below guidelines to include tops.
Here we go:
The Body Rules
- If you are shorter in the body, try wearing your top out over the skirt
- If your height challenged then try wearing the same colours the whole way through to elongate you, shoes included
- If you’re wearing a more fitted skirt, opt for a looser top to balance your look
- For my strong inverted triangle ladies, opt for a straight skirt for beautiful balance
- Hourglasses, you have the worthiest of waists so can play with both pencil and straight skirts
A Bit Of A Tummy
- Don’t tuck a top into your skirt if you have a bit of a tummy, it will only draw attention to the area
- Look for a wide waist band to flatter the area and avoid embellishments, they’ll only add bulk
Lengths For Legs
- If you have shorter legs, opt for a higher skirt length or wear a heel
- If you have thick thighs and a bigger behind, opt for a straight skirt rather than a pencil
- Only wear the midi length if you have the legs or are wearing super high heels
Just a quick note on “behinds”. Despite booty’s being celebrated of late, we’re not really seeking the Kim Kardashian West or Nikki Minaj look of squeezing our behinds into really tight garments so that is all we can see. Remember to always balance your look.
Finally, you might enjoy the return of the straight denim skirt this season. It’s a great alternative to jeans over the summer time and there are some great ones around.
I hope you enjoyed today’s blog and it helps you find the perfect skirt for your body shape.
Are you a skirt wearer, have you nailed the best style for you or do you stick to pants?
Would love to hear your style notes in the comments below.