Are you game to wear white pants this summer?
Don’t be terrified, we’re not talking Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal pants circa 1987, we’re in 2014 where white on the lower halves of our bodies is making a stylish comeback.
In recent months, we’ve seen Miranda Kerr rock a white jean and nautical pieces while Jessica Alba worked a culotte style like a boss. However, while your bottom area may not resemble the likes of Kerr or Alba, it certainly doesn’t mean you can’t also wear this look.
So now that we’ve removed the supermodel/celebrity stigma, it’s off to find you the perfect white pair.
I love the white pant however, like many of you, the most difficult part of this look actually lies in finding the right cut and fabric thickness.
As summer beckons, it is such a nice change to bring lighter colours into our day, yet so many of my clients are voicing the same concern: “I can’t wear white jeans, they will just make my bum look bigger!
Hogwash! (or Poppycock!) The only thing that makes your bum look bigger is the style you choose and perhaps it’s also a little in your head? Are you putting your bum down again? (Pun intended, ladies)
But back to the product – it all depends on the cut, rise and lift of your pants. The back pocket placement will also make a difference along with the thickness of the fabric. Finally, it’s how you wear and style them with existing pieces.
So for your white wearing pleasure, I’ve put together Ten Style Commandments for nailing this look:
- If you have cellulite (or perhaps you refer to it as lard, fat, excess, blubber etc.), you will absolutely need a thicker and firmer pant to smooth out any lumpy bits.
- If choosing a crop, be conscious of the height and of the shoes you choose. For example, a top to long with flats will crunch your height so either put a little height in your shoes or up the hem of your top or pants.
- A cuff on the bottom of a 7/8 or crop white pant can be great if you are a bit heavy in the thigh and bottom area.
- A tapered crop is great on for my hourglass ladies.
- Make sure the denim is fitted and go a little tighter if possible to avoid crutch sagging 🙁
- A high yoke and high pockets are flattering on your backside. Now for a little denim definition, the yoke sits directly below the waistband on the back of jeans where your butt sits forming a V shape. Always check this ladies.
- Colour blocking will look sophisticated and will elongate you. Opt for an all white or nude look, or explore the bolder hues for a bigger statement. Give it a go!
- To elongate your legs – a nude, white, or tan wedge, platform or sandal will be a perfect match.
- If you are taller and/or have longer legs, a cuff on the bottom won’t hurt you at all, play with this look.
- Finally no VPL (Visible Panty Lines). Nude, seam free underwear please! There are no exceptions to this rule.
Oh and a mini eleventh commandment: like our black counterparts, white leggings are not pants or jeans. Let’s not even go there.
So now that you know there is a white pair of pants for everyone, hop to it! My non-demin ladies can work the same style commandants and get some white action through tailored pants, or softer more breezy fabrics. Oh, and you’ve heard the rumours – it actually keeps you cooler in the sun.
Now, if you’re also keen to make an investment in a quality high-end pair, white jeans are also predicted to move into the Autumn/Winter season taking a “winter white” spin on the look. You heard it here first.
So, who dares to take the white pant challenge? I would love to hear from you in the comments below. Who loves, hates and is willing to try this look?
Be bright, and I’ll speak to you soon.