Is there anyone out there who thinks they don’t have a waist? If so, this article is for you. 🙂
So many wonderful things come in oval shapes: jewels, mirrors, eggs (okay…not so wonderful) and of course – women.
An oval body shape is defined by the waist being generally wider than your shoulders or hips. You may feel that you are thick and rounded through the tummy, hip and thigh area where you will hold most of your weight around the centre of the body.
But it’s not all round news; many oval shapes are blessed with long legs, beautiful shoulder structure and a bust worthy of a deep V-neckline. However, I do realise that dressing can be quite the challenge for many of you.
Now, before we begin, I would like to share the three primary style goals to get the most out of your oval body shape: to slim, to elongate and to define your waistline.
So this week, I have put together eight fashion tips on how to take your oval shape to stylish heights:
- Avoid a belt across your tummy – this will only widen your mid-section
- Choose clothes with colours that run straight through your silhouette, as it will help elongate you. Additionally, wearing similar colours or shades on top and bottom can further proportion you
- Avoid wearing patterns and prints on one area in particular or consider wearing a muted print that runs through the entire body
- Look to clever seamstress strategies and make use of darting and bonding on fabric and jackets. This will work to create the illusion of shape through the waist giving you a feminine touch;
- Wear statement jewellery to draw the eye upwards to highlight your face and neckline
- Avoid heavy, thick bulky prints and fabrics and create vertical lines through the centre of your body. Horizontal lines should be avoided at all costs so forget this seasons Nautical patterns! Keep it simple!
- Choose clothes with soft fabrics that flow over your body without losing your shape but avoid fabric that clings
- For a helping hand, consider foundation shapewear for hidden support. These garments can help streamline your body and offer an instant tummy-tuck – no hospital time required. 🙂
So forget trying to slim your tummy by breathing in consistently at events or hiding in oversized clothing (which WILL make you look larger).
Now it’s over to you. Are you an oval body shape?
If so, what do you struggle with most? Perhaps its attire such as casual pieces or even one item in particular you can’t seem to wear. Let me know in the comments below as I would love your feedback!
Also, we are just under two weeks away from my Real World Runway where every day people take to the stage in the latest Autumn trends. Tickets can be purchased here. I hope to see you there!
Love Cindy xx