It’s 2016 and it’s back to work already for many of us. For some of us, the new year may also bring a new job and new opportunity.
So the question is, what to wear to work?
Starting a new year is a great time to look at your work wardrobe, to reassess what you wear and how you are representing yourself to your employer, work colleagues and possible clients. Remember, a new year presents a new slate, a chance to start over or to become more of the person, or professional, you want to be.
Many of my clients put minimal effort, or thought, into their work attire. Yet when you consider this involves a huge portion of your wardrobe, and more importantly, represents how you look the majority of your week – between work, after work and weekend social outings that require more than sweats – you would think this should be where effort is focused.
Given this, and given that this may be a change of mind-set for many, here are some tips to get you thinking in the right direction.
Look at your current work wardrobe:
- What’s tired and need replacing? Write a list.
- Can any pieces be rejuvenated orrepaired?
- Are there any pieces you normally considered social that you can bring into your work wardrobe?
Starting a new job:
- How do you want your workplace to perceive you?
- Do you want to stand out or just blend in?
- What professional image do you want to present to clients?
- Will this (1,2 and 3) require a new work wardrobe or are there items in your wardrobe that are still suitable?
I hope you enjoyed our little shopping tour! Note, The Cue dresses are always a Fave of mine for work wear as the fabric is usually a great option for Layering in the cooler months!
Starting a new job can be daunting and carving out new relationships is not always easy. Sometimes though, the confidence to succeed at both can come from looking great on the outside.
Who’s back at work and slipping into the same old routines? Have you invested in your work wardrobe and into making yourself into the professional you want to be? It’s never too late to start the year new. Please let me know your thoughts.
Love Cindy xo