Spring has sprung …
… well not quite in Melbourne, however, I also know Queensland hasn’t really had a winter yet 🙂
It’s the time of year we start to unwrap ourselves from our heavy winter clothes and bit by bit, start to bare our skin.
For many of us we realise we’ve added a few extra lumps and bumps, not helped by the hot chocolates and puddings we’ve been eating to keep warm.
Initially, baring skin can be a shock and with that can come insecurity and self-awareness of our faults; and this can leave us not feeling good in our clothes or about moving into spring/summer clothing.
With the Spring racing starting in a matter of weeks, many of you will be planning outfits and this too can cause mayhem just thinking about showing your skin.
How do I know this? When I am styling and shopping with my clients so many want cover-ups!!
Showing upper arms seems to be the area that is of greatest concern for many of you. I am the first person to say to someone “I understand the issue is real for you’.
Coming up with solutions can become a bit tricky as so many dresses are sleeveless!
Looking for solutions to baring our post-winter bodies can be very challenging when we are stuck focusing on our lumps, bumps and pale winter skin and it can be hard to get our mindset past it.
I would never say “get over it – just bare all”, but life is so short and worrying so much about our bits being on display really can stop us from being present and enjoying life/the event!
A few little tips for embracing Spring and feeling comfortable in your post-winter skin:
- Use a self-tanning lotion if this is important to you but try and buy natural if you can 🙂
- Pop a colourful kaftan over bathers for a great distraction
- Wear a light weight cardigan for coverage and warmth
- Opt for a light blazer/jacket adding structure and spring colour/style
- Wear lightweight culottes for a flattering and comfortable alternative to jeans
- Choose maxi-skirts/dresses for a feminine look without baring your legs
- Opt for a midi skirt perfect for spring with just enough leg on show
Often, women will say “oh my white legs”.
I once had someone say to me I should use a fake tan, it would look better in my photos. I found that amazing. It’s only a photo to highlight an outfit and she was focused on my legs!!
So let’s all relax a bit.
We do need to take care of our bodies and that’s a choice we can all make. But if you work at it and still struggle with what you see in the mirror, that’s ok, that’s just you. You are more than just your bits … and you are beautiful!
Who struggles baring skin in spring/summer?
- Country Road – Marle waterfall cardigan
- Forever New – Jenna puff sleeve mac
- Jo Mercer – Elaine casual sandals navy leather
- Seed – Off shoulder broderie top and tiered hi-lo skirt
- Gucci – Soho bag
- Jo Mercer – Crimson dress sandals black leather
- Lovisa – Rose gold disc hoop earrings
- Camilla – Memory lane slit front and sleeve kaftan
- Country Road – Print wrap shirt and printed culotte
- Barbas and Zacari – Rose watch
- Country Road – Tailored knit top and tailored kick pant
- Country Road – Mess bomber and straight cigarette pant